800 Block, South Side
While the 700 block is bad, at least there are buildings to look at. In the 800 block, the better part of the south side of the street is a hole in the ground. Once again, the vacant land belongs to the City and is awaiting redevelopment. The Downtown Partnership is doing what it can by encouraging local artists to create a mural to hide the blight. At the east end of the South side are a few buildings still standing. However, they are largely vacant and in need of tenants and help.
Address: 818 K Street, The Kress Building
Square Footage: 54,745
Last Recorded Sale: 04/01/2011
Owner: K & R Development, Inc.
Historical Significance: Built in 1931 and designed by Los Angeles architect John Fleming in an Art Deco style. The Kress department store was a national chain that occupied the building until 1980.
Current Use: The building has been undergoing some renovation but it’s unclear whether any tenants have moved in yet.
Address: 830 K Street
Square Footage: 50,833
Last Recorded Sale: 11/29/2000
Owner: Zinfandel Acquisitions
Historical Significance: Originally Montgomery Ward & Company. When it opened in 1936, Montgomery Ward & Co. officials considered this branch he finest and most modern of the chain’s 500 stores. It was the first air-conditioned Montgomery Ward & Co. store. The building is constructed in a Colonial Revival style.
Current Use: Unknown